At Blackfield Primary School phonics is taught as the main approach to early reading, following the Read Write Inc. (RWI) programme, which is developed by Ruth Miskin.
Our aim is to ensure that all children are taught strategies that will enable the to become fluent, confident readers who show a love and enthusiasm of books.
How do we do this?
- Through the explicit, regular teaching of phonics and phonic strategies using a systematic, synthetic phonics approach
- Through the explicit, regular teaching of spelling patterns and rules in a consistent progression
- Through high quality formative assessment leading to careful differentiation for all ability groups
- Through modelling the use of the phonic strategies when reading, leading to the finding of meaning in the text
- Through fostering an atmosphere of enjoyment around reading and writing
Phonics Sounds Videos
Below you can find all set 2 and set 3 phonics sounds, with video examples from teachers of how to say them, and what a speed-sound lesson would look like for each sound. If you want more information on how to support your child with their phonics then please contact the admin office.
Click this link the Ruth Miskin Youtube channel where you can find all of the phonic sound videos, or use the buttons below to see our recorded lessons of each speed sound.
You can also find support material for parents and carers by clicking on this link to the Ruth Miskin Home Reading page.
You can find a copy of our phonics policy below:
Set 1 Sounds